Botox is FDA-approved Injectable aesthetic treatments that will enhance the look of lines on the forehead, under eyes wrinkles, and frown lines in the eyebrow area. Botox injections are an anti-aging procedure that is applied directly beneath the skin. Botox will relax the muscles in your face. Generally, these facial muscles contract when you show emotions and talk, smile, laugh that will lead to wrinkles as the aging process takes off. Botox reduces these effects, especially for around eye wrinkles making the skin smooth. Cosmetic injections of Botox will show the effects for about three to twelve months based on the area that will undergo treatment. Almost six million Botox procedures are performed every twelve months making Botox the highly used non-surgical cosmetic treatment.
How does Botox work?
Botulinum toxin blocks certain nerve signals when injected that will force the contracted muscles to relax, thereby reducing unwanted wrinkles. These results will show for about three to twelve months after which the muscles contract again to original shape and wrinkles will come back.
Before starting the injecting procedure, an anesthetic cream is rubbed on the treatment location to numb it. Then Botox medicine will be injected into the specific facial muscles. As this procedure lasts only for a few minutes and can be performed at a cosmetic clinic, you will be ready to continue your normal activities right after it. After 3 days of the procedure, you will observe some results starting to show as muscles start to relax. After 1 week, these results get clear with the disappearance of facial wrinkles and lines. As now you are aware this effect lasts for some time and starts to wear off after.
Who are eligible to get botulinum toxin injections?
You should be above 18 years old and healthy without carrying any illness before you can get botulinum toxin injections. You must tell the doctor before the Botox procedure, about your medical history along with all the details of medicines or any supplements you take. There are some restrictions for getting Botox injections. They are listed below:
- People with multiple sclerosis, myasthenia gravis or any other neuromuscular disease.
- Women who are conceiving, pregnant or nursing the child.
- If possessing a weakness in the facial muscles.
- Carry conditions like drooping eyelids, facial scars, the facial skin of abnormal thickness, or any uneven facial features with any skin problems.
Generally, Botox around eyes do help, but they do sometimes cause side effects or other health problems. Common side effects include:
- Redness in the eye or irritation.
- Bruising in the treated location- It is highly possible if you take aspirin or any blood-thinning medicine. You need to consult your concerned doctor regarding stopping those medicines a few days before performing the Botox procedure.
- Headaches may occur.
- A rare but complicated condition called Ptosis or dropping of eyelids- It will cause impaired vision. It will take time and slowly go off when the effects of injection go off.
Some certain eyedrops and ointments can help in reducing the possibility of side effects after the procedure. You will not be allowed to lie down but sit upright and not to put any kind of pressure on the treated location for up to 4 hours. Also, it is advised that you do not perform any strenuous physical activity for 24 hours after treatment.
Can you try to reduce under-eye wrinkles naturally?
There should be a change in your daily habits that may be causing wrinkles under the eyes. Below tips will surely help you:
- Stay away from excessive exposure to sunlight and remember to apply sunscreen during summer containing at least 30 percent SPF and both UVB and UVA protection.
- Do not take over-the-counter medications, such as antihistamines for seasonal allergies that cause skin irritations.
- Reduce or quit smoking.
- It is advised to get enough sleep and ample rest daily.
- Do not use excess salt in your daily diet that causes water retention in the body, leading to the accumulation of fluids.
- Learn to sleep with keeping the head in a slightly high position, to avoid the fluids from building up beneath the eyes.
- Remember to wear protection on sunny days like hats, long sleeves, and sunglasses.
- Make a homemade mask or serum with pineapple juice, lemon juice, and apple cider vinegar.
- Make a homemade scrub made of finely ground white sugar mixed with olive oil or coconut oil.
- Always stay hydrated all day.
- Refrain from using tanning beds, lights, and products.
- Do not use any lightening or whitening products.
- Make use of hydrating creams, oils, and serums that are rich in glycerine.
- Last and not least always remember to wash your face and remove all the artificial makeups before going to bed.
Certain cosmetic solutions will assist to repair and normalize the skin under the eyes. Ointments made up of caffeine are useful in puffiness because they can help to make the skin stiffer and reduce puffiness.
Food Nutrients and supplements that can be useful to help prevent or negate any under-eye fine lines and wrinkles are:
- whole-grain foods
- Variety of fruits and vegetables
- Vitamin C, E, and A
- Carotenoids and Keratin
- omega-3s, omega-6s, and omega-9s
Botox procedures are generally very safe when performed by experienced board-certified professionals. Side effects were reported in less than 1 percent of the patients and major of them were minor issues.
But even then, Botox under eyes may not be as effective they are for crow’s feet around the eyes. They do carry some risks too. You should be knowing all the possible risks and benefits before having these treatments. However, it should never be considered a miracle treatment. Their effectiveness under eyes varies among people and hence it is advised to consult an experienced professional. Using a qualified and expert medical provider, such as Bella Rose Medical Aesthetics you are ensured that the advice and procedures are done genuinely and safely.